Old July 9th 04, 05:40 PM
Mike Andrews

Gary S. Idontwantspam@net wrote:
On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 16:38:32 -0700, Tim Wescott
wrote:

There's nothing wrong with an amateur _owning_ a piece of equipment
capable of transmitting on all those frequencies, it's just not OK for
us to actually do it.

Subtle. Could be interpreted as the intent to do so, without a
legitimate reason to have it.

Try again?

The "justice system" will make whatever interpretations it finds
convenient; ditto for the FCC. But then they've got to justify those
interpretations and the conclusions they draw from them.

I'm not a ham at the moment: my Novice ticket expired in 1964. I own
an Icom 751 transceiver, and intend to use it. That is, I intend to
use it _legally_, after I get a General ticket. But I'm not a ham now,
and I do intend to use the transceiver to transmit. Care to turn _me_
in? On what grounds?

Try to buy some lockpicks.

Lockpicks?

Easy, here in central Oklahoma: I walked into the locksmith's shop
nearby, and ordered two sets: one for work and one for home. I'm
the Officially-Designated Lock-Picker at work: open desks, doors,
file cabinets, and cars on legitimate request. Most recently I got
into a car that some idjit had left running and locked with the keys
inside, in the middle of one of our parking lots, blocking the only
entrance/exit.

I don't travel with my own set, lest some overzealous police type
decide that I'm equipped with the picks to use as burglar tools, but
I do open houses, desks, file cabinets, and cars for friends in the
area -- again, after being _sure_ that it's a legitimate request.

--
Mike Andrews

Tired old sysadmin