Old July 10th 04, 02:48 PM
Highland Ham

I just finished my first homebrew radio, a VHF receiver with PLL, and it's
time to put it in a box ! I've often read that HF circuits should be put

in
metal boxes, but I don't know which one should choose. Are "sealed"
enclosures such as this one
http://www.velleman.be/common/produc...?lan=1&id=7318
better than boxes like that one
http://www.velleman.be/common/produc...lan=1&id=11184 ?

And do you think that plastic and ABS boxes are really bad for HF circuits

?
===============================
It is difficult to advise on enclosures if the size of the radio and front
panel operating component dimensions are unknown.
However you can readily make your own 'taylor made' enclosures from scrap
(preferably double sided) printed circuit board.
Result : a perfectly screened box with a neat appearance. To prevent the
outside from getting dull due to oxidisation ,it is best to apply a matt
varnish.
Ham fleamarkets are a good source for scrap PCB ,normally sold by weight ,at
least on the european continent.

Frank GM0CSZ / KN6WH