Old July 23rd 12, 11:59 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default piezo buzzer

On Sun, 22 Jul 2012, wrote:

I have a nice auto multimeter. The continuity buzzer's out so I wanted
to test it, replace with a radio shack element.

The meter turned itsself on inside the snapbox. Apparemtly the contacs
touched killing the buzzer or driver.

But you should never keep a meter on ohms or continuity. Because those
are vulnerable ranges. You turn it on and measure some voltage, and bang
you blew a fuse if you were lucky, you've damaged the meter if you weren't
lucky. Keep it on a voltage range, which can handle anything that would
come across the leads. Put it on a higher voltage range if you really
worry, though the meter should be protected for overvoltage.

Michael VE2BVW

When I tried it last, the buzzer buzzed twice then died.
Positive inside contact circle or outside ring ? Probably a standard