Old July 11th 04, 07:06 PM
Ken Scharf

Gregg wrote:
I find myself a TV tech, getting dumped on with older HAM rigs for repair
by newbie licenced HAM's with no vacuum tube experience.

I am in need of a decent 50 or 100 watt dummy load to properly align the
transmitters at full power.

I have stuff for trade or am willing to pay up to $20/USD for one shipped
to Canada, postal V0X 1X0.

Lemmie know if anyone can help :-)

My real email is geek at scorpiorising dot ca

Thanks all,

What you want is the Heath 'Cantenna'. These show up on ebay
from time to time. Back in the 60's 70's, and 80's almost every
ham had one so they are not very rare. They do have a small
problem, the brass bands that attach the resistor element to the
unit break in half after many years of use (either from metal
fatigue or chemical reaction to the 'oil') and will have to be
replaced. Small hose clamps may work, or you will have to make
your own from sheet brass. Also many of these were filled with
'transformer oil' obtained from the local power company. While
this stuff had ideal thermal and electrial properties for the
job, it was a hazardous chemical that shouldn't be allowed to
get on the skin, or disposed of to seek into the ground water
table. (CANCEROUS!).

An equivalent to the Cantenna is still being sold by MFJ Enterprises.