Old August 2nd 12, 04:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default TM-742 on 70 MHz

On Sun, 29 Jul 2012, Fred McKenzie wrote:

I am interested in the 70 MHz band that is currently authorized in some
European countries. I understand the frequency is no longer used by the
U.S. television system, so it could be authorized here in the future as
well.

One doesn't mean the other. One reason the 11metre band disappeared to CB
was because it wasn't an international allocation. Same with 220Mhz, even
144MHz, only some of it's an international allocation.

Yes, some work has been done to internationalize things, but that tends to
be to give some specific change, like in the low frequency allocations.
That gives a whole different propagation situation.

So just because there's a 70MHz allocation somewhere doesn't mean it will
come to North America. And for that matter, just because a frequency
range may become available doens't mean it will go to amateur radio.

Note that history shows we've lost more vhf/uhf allocations over time than
HF allocations, indeed, we've gained some in HF.

Michael VE2BVW

According to an article on how to modify the Kenwood TM-742, the 50 MHz
module can tune to about 90 MHz. Is anyone actually using one on the 70
MHz band? Is it necessary to realign the module, or does it work as-is?

Fred
K4DII