Old August 3rd 12, 02:54 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
dave dave is offline

Default Geo- magnetic storm in progress

On 08/02/2012 05:37 PM, Brenda Ann wrote:
"Michael Black" wrote in message
ample.net...

Do you remember the giant sunspots during the 1960's you could see
with the naked eye? Solar flux over 200. I used to pick up WWV on 25
MHz on my cheap walkie-talkies. New Zealand used to blast in around
midnight local time just below 18 MHz. Good times.

I'm surprised you could hear 25MHz WWV on a cheap walkie talkie. Surely
band conditions opened up that you'd get all the CBers first, so they'd
wipe out WWV. The superregenerative receivers were wide band, but the
CBers were a lot more plentiful.

In the 60's, there were relatively few CB'ers, and the ones that were
around were legal 3 watt output. The big CB boom didn't happen until
around 1971 or 72. WWV would have been what? About 50KW? At any rate, a
lot more powerful than a 3W CB.

There was a big CB boom when it was first authorized. 1961 or so. My dad
put a ground plane outside my window.