Old August 4th 12, 10:29 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Brenda Ann[_2_] Brenda Ann[_2_] is offline

Default Geo- magnetic storm in progress

"Geoffrey S. Mendelson" wrote in message

If you had a radio and no license, in order to get on the air you could
use a temporary callsign, which I think was something like KBG and your
zip code. I don't know what they did in a big city the day after christmas
when there were hundreds of new owners. :-)

Geoff.

The system you are referring to was the use of the letter K or W (depending
on geography), followed by the first and last initials of the user, followed
by the zip code in which the user lived. e.g. KBD97214 (this was technically
only valid for a short time while an actual license was acquired.. but it
never worked out that way.)