Old July 14th 04, 10:33 AM
Gary S.

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 21:43:12 -0400, "R J Carpenter"
wrote:

it would be illegal to use it. As an aside, I wonder what happens to a US
no-code ham with a homebrew transmitter who operates in Canada....

There are reciprocal privileges, but my interpretation is when
operating in Canada, one is required to follow (and be aware of) all
of the Industry Canada (equivalent of FCC) regulations.

If you see http://www.rac.ca/regulatory/rcip.htm

you will find the following:
"Americans operating in Canada, must abide by Industry Canada RIC-2

- A US amateur who is qualified to send and receive in Morse code at
a speed of at least 5 wpm may operate an amateur station in Canada in
accordance with the provisions applicable to the holder of an Amateur
Operator's Certificate with Basic, Morse Code (5 wpm) and Advanced
Qualifications.

- A US amateur who is not qualified to send and receive in Morse code
may operate an amateur station in Canada in accordance with provisions
applicable to the holder of the Amateur Operator's Certificate with
Basic and Advanced Qualifications."

Again, RIC-2 would be equivalent to Part 97.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA