Old August 16th 12, 01:40 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.digital.misc
Bill Gunshannon Bill Gunshannon is offline

Default Packet Radio

In article ,
(Brian Kantor) writes:
In article ,
(Bill Gunshannon) wrote:
Is packet radio dead? Has the proliferation of Internet and Cell Phones
made it so meaningless that no one is doing anything anymore?

Hi Brian,
Now there's a blast from the past.

The lack of activity in this group may more reflect the death of
Usenet than anything else. Very few Usenet sites exist outside
of Universities and commercial providers these days.

Gee.... That's where I thought it always was. (As one who used to
run a pretty good Usenet Site at a University until they turned me
off for "using too much bandwidth". :-)

There are still people experimenting with the Internet protocols
(TCP/IP, etc) over ham radio. Little of it takes place at 1200 bps
anymore; most folk are running 9600 bps or faster,

Certainly haven't found any around here.

some are using
converted wireless equipment to achive multiple megabits ("HSMM"). And

That was something I wanted to do. Wondered if one could change the
code in the box (I have a bunch of boxes with third party code based
on Linux available) to make them run AX.25. Seemed like one could
set up some pretty good high-speed point-to-point links with the WAP
boxes.

there is the new 56kb/s digital radio from the folks in the northwest.

New as in different from the GRAPES stuff that was coming out about the
time I stopped having the time and money to play with it?

There are a lot of folks running Linux and many of these use the
soundcard in their computer as the modem - no TNC required.

I've seen that, too. But end user devices was never my main interest
I was always much more interested in the backbone.

For more info, check out the Linux-Hams mailing list, the TAPR
website http://www.tapr.org and the AMPRNet http://www.ampr.org.

Not much on mailing lists. Been to the TAPR site but it basicly read
like 1990 all over again. But then, I didn't really get past the intro.
I'll check out th AMPR site.

Best regards
- Brian WB6CYT

Great talking to you again after all this time, Brian. Is Phil, KA9Q
still active out that way or is he too deep into the commercial stuff
anymore?

bill

| and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
University of Scranton |
Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include std.disclaimer.h