Old July 15th 04, 02:59 AM
Andy Axnot

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 11:43:00 +0200, Sverre Holm wrote:

It's described on http://www.qsl.net/ka5ruz/. He calls it the "RUZ"
antenna.

It looks fairly simple to build, simpler than other CFA or EH antenna
descriptions I have seen, so maybe I will give it a try this summer?

Well, I built it. It gives an SWR equivalent to having an unterminated
coaxial cable - in the order of 1:6 or 1:10, i.e. the maximum that I can
measure. I first tried it with 10 m coax, about half wavelength on 20 m,
then I thought I would try it with around a quarter-wave (~5 m) to transform
the high impedance to a low one. That didn't help much.

However, my K2 antenna tuner can tune the antenna with 5 m cable and I can
hear signals - even a rare one like OJ0 (not too far from LA-land!), but it
is several S-points under my 75 horizontal loop in signal strength. I
haven't tried to transmit yet.

Pity.

I emailed KA5RUZ re the antenna. He emailed a very nice response
encouraging me to try it, but he gave no further technical info.

Oh, well. Maybe I'll give STLs a try when I can.

Andy