Old December 15th 03, 05:04 PM
Andy Cowley

Cecil Moore wrote:

CW wrote:
Effective lightning protection can be done in the amatuer station for a
reasonable cost. Most though, don't do so.

My costs have always been reasonable - I unplug the antenna
when not in use. I don't use it during thunderstorms. I have
lived in extreme lightning areas with zero problems.

All good stuff, Cecil, but I'd say that was lightening avoidance
not protection. I still don't believe there is an effective method
of lightening protection for an amateur station that will accept a
direct strike and survive. Even your method would probably result
in a fried antenna ;-) Hope you never find out!

vy 73

Andy, M1EBV