Old September 5th 12, 03:58 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Ringo Ranger Problems

"NM5K" wrote in message
BTW, a 10 meter ringo does not require radials. But it can be
further improved by adding a decoupling section a 1/4 wave down
from the feed point. I used a union to ground the shield to the
metal mast at that point, and had three 1/4 wave radials.

The big selling point when they first came out was no radials needed. I am
not sure as it has been a long time ago, but was thinking the origional
Ringo was for the CB because of no radials and later moved to other bands.

Then it was found that on the vhf bands the signal went up instead of out
to the horizon. That is when the extra piece of coax was added about 1/4
wavelength below the antenna and radials added.

From all I have seen, the Ringo was one of the beter selling antennas and it
did not work very well. Same as for the 11 element beams that CC made.
Several items like that turned me off from CC years ago.