Old September 6th 12, 09:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
John Ferrell[_3_] John Ferrell[_3_] is offline

Default Ringo Ranger Problems

I cannot imagine what your problem is with the 2 meter CushCraft Ringo
Ranger. I have had the same one in service off and on since the late
70's. Easy to mount, easy to match, physically durable, priced real
close to the cost of the aluminum. The J-Pole is popular now days but
is not near the performer that the Ringo is. I have both! The Ringo on
a tower is not a good idea because it brings up too many repeaters on
a given frequency. Bad operating manners!
As far as the 12 element CushCraft Yagis are concerned I have a 440 &
2 M models and have found them to work just like the modeling programs
indicate. There will be a "lump" on the pattern that is not shown in
the model, presumably radiation from the Gamma match.

There are ways to improve on CushCraft products (Stainless Hardware!)
but in the long haul, you generally get your moneys worth.

I am sorry you have had a bad experience with the Ringo but I don't
think you really explained your problems.

A little more information would be a big help. There are a lot of
really smart and helpful guys lurking here who have been very generous
to me over the years.

Please back up & try again...

On Wed, 5 Sep 2012 15:01:02 +0000, Channel Jumper
wrote:

Thanks guys - I found the answer this morning as soon as I looked at the
picture of one on the web site...

The seller of the antenna was dead - I couldn't ask him any questions.

His son - was only interested in the money from the sale and couldn't
tell me anything because he wasn't a ham like his dad.

The antenna was a 6 meter antenna - hence this antenna would need to be
about 224 inches long to work on 10 meters - not 9'

How ever - 138 inches divided by two would be 69 inches which would show
some kind of match - but not the one desired.

5'9 x 2 = 11'6 which did show a match with a 2:1 SWR

This means I need to add another 7' to the antenna to get it to work on
27.200 MHz...

All I would need to do is figure out how long to make the stub match and
I would be set!

For some reason a 6 meter antenna will receive on 10 meters - ok and
will tune up on 10 meters if it is the right length and if a antenna
tuner is used.

For some reason the 6 meter Ringo - if not properly adjusted will not
transmit on 6 meters - it is a 1 MHz only antenna - not very broad
banded...

When I tried it at my house on 50.125 MHz and 52.900 Mhz - it would not
tune with my internal tuner in my Kenwood TS 590 - said bad match...

But it would tune just fine on 10 meters - 28.400 - so I figured it was
a 10 meter antenna... I didn't get the instructions with the antenna -
and I didn't look online to see which model it was.... That was my
fault...

Makes a real good dummy load though...

Thanks guys..

John Ferrell W8CCW