Old September 7th 12, 06:35 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Helmut Wabnig[_2_] Helmut Wabnig[_2_] is offline

Default AM antenna problems

On Fri, 7 Sep 2012 13:58:38 +0000, ULLS
wrote:

I am trying to receive an am signal well below ground level in a metal
server room, there is a coax feed up to the roof which I used and
attached the standard wire loop that was supplied with the tuner,
however when I attempted to tune into some stations I could only pick up
a couple of local stations and wasn't able to receive the ones I was
hoping for. when I dialed in the desired frequencies, all I was
receiving was a tone, the tone changed in frequency/pitch depending on
the tuners frequency. To check that I could receive the stations I took
the tuner to the roof and attached the antenna directly and sure enough
I could pick up the desired stations. My thoughts are that the coax is
affecting the signal in some way, perhaps picking up electrical noise?
any advise would be appreciated.

Rent a room directly under the roof.

w.