Old September 10th 12, 06:06 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
[email protected] bloggerccc@gmail.com is offline

Default AM antenna problems

On Friday, September 7, 2012 6:58:38 AM UTC-7, ULLS wrote:
I am trying to receive an am signal well below ground level in a metal

server room, there is a coax feed up to the roof which I used and

attached the standard wire loop that was supplied with the tuner,

however when I attempted to tune into some stations I could only pick up

a couple of local stations and wasn't able to receive the ones I was

hoping for. when I dialed in the desired frequencies, all I was

receiving was a tone, the tone changed in frequency/pitch depending on

the tuners frequency. To check that I could receive the stations I took

the tuner to the roof and attached the antenna directly and sure enough

I could pick up the desired stations. My thoughts are that the coax is

affecting the signal in some way, perhaps picking up electrical noise?

any advice would be appreciated.

Two approaches possible: (1) Disconnect the wire loop from the tuner and attach
the coax to the connection points formerly used for the loop.

(2) wrap about fifteen turns of lightweight insulated wire around the loop that came with the tuner. Attach one end of this wire to the coax shield and the other end to the coax center conductor. (It's an RF transformer.)