Old September 13th 12, 06:37 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Sal M. O'Nella[_3_] Sal M. O'Nella[_3_] is offline

Default 20m Field Day Quad

"NM5K" wrote in message
On 9/12/2012 6:54 PM, Sal M. O'Nella wrote:

Depending on the distance (which might mean an unacceptable
added expense), you could run PVC.

I don't think that would work.. The coax is not running to
a building or anything. I was feeding 80/40 dipoles, with
the feed point between two oak trees, and the coax led over
to one of the trees. I'd just run it out to wherever I was
operating, usually my stone bench. I had about 100 feet of
RG-58..
When I left, I'd just roll the coax up and hang it on a tree
branch. I got about 5 years out of that setup before the
coax went kaput.
One thing I might consider is installing a box or something
to store the bulk of the rolled up coax away from critters.
They still would be able to eat on the part leading to the
antenna, but at least the bulk of it would be fairly safe.
What was weird this time was none of the rolled up coax
was hanging on the tree, and it was broke or unconnected from
the antenna, and only a few little pieces on the ground.
Some varmint might have dragged it off into the woods, but
like I say, it started raining. So I left, and will have to
look for other pieces when I go back up there.
Someone may have stolen the bulk of it..

But I expect it's all basically ruined, so I will be needing
to replace it all. Luckily I use only the thin stuff there,
so cheaper than buying the usual 213 that I use here at the
house. 213 is direct burial.. But it's too heavy for what I'm
doing up there. Too pricy to leave out also, being it's basically
thief bait hanging on the tree branch.
I haven't bought any coax in a few years, and expect sticker
shock due to the price of copper these days.
I've got lots of spare runs of RG-8, but not sure if I have
any rg-58 left or not.. Like I say, the RG-8/213 is too heavy,
even if I wanted to risk leaving it there.
I'd also have to rewire the antennas with thicker wire to support
that heavy stuff and be able to keep tension on the antenna
wires to avoid the droops.

I agree. However, you might approach "droop" in other ways.

Depending on the height at which you want to place the feed,
you could potentially add a non-conductive span of nylon line
above, supporting the weight of a heavier coax. (I have several
"quick rigs" for dipoles; one of them includes a span line with
pulleys along the line. One I get the span line up, I can begin to
haul conductors aloft with other line. Reduced element stress.)

The success of this depends on how tall the trees are and how
easy/difficult it is to get into them.

73,
"Sal"