Old September 13th 12, 08:45 PM posted to alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.scanner
R S H R S H is offline

Default Home Patrol -- Is it worth it? - I like the GRE PSR-800...

This is a year and a half later, and the price of my PSR-800 from GRE was about $380, as opposed to the $500 or so for the Home Patrol,
which basically does the same things.

Is it worth it:? With weekly updates from RadioReference, and easy updating of the firmware and software, when compared to the PRO-95 I had
before the PSR-800, in my view the answer is yes.

Toronto was relatively easy to program, even if, because it is in Canada, one cannot just enter a zip code and let it pull in everything
that might be relevant. In Houston one enters a zip code such as 77030 and it runs with that and installs, from scan list 150 upwards,
everything it thinks relevant for Houston and nearby parts of Texas. No such ability for Canada and Canadian cities, but it still has all
the RadioReference lists for all of Canada

The sound is definitely better than the PRO-95, also built by GRE. The use of a microSD card and the built in tap, etc. all make it worth it
in my view.

Will it handle non-standard encryption? No, but if you can find software that will do the job, a feed from the stereo earphone plug to the
computer's microphone in plug permits you to run the intercept to the computer.

Anyway, I have a few minor issues but in the main I rather like the PSR-800, its ability to record transmissions as received, and its
relative ease of use and control.

FWIW
RsH

On Wed, 9 Feb 2011 08:33:23 -0800 (PST), Kidd Joe wrote:

I’m just fishing for some honest opinions here before I drop $500 on a
new scanner. I recently sold an unblocked AOL MKIII I bought in 2004,
because it became basically useless for the purpose of full coverage
scanning. I never lost my fascination for the hobby, so I’m
considering a Home Patrol (or a Pro-106) to at least enjoy the trunk
tracking capability it didn‘t have.

The problem for me is that with all this encrypting going on, is it
really worth the money? I mean how much longer can I take advantage of
casual eavesdropping before I end up with an expensive paper weight I
can‘t use for anything else? That’s why I’d appreciate your take on
it.

Thank You.