Old September 21st 12, 03:39 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Shortwave Recommendations Antenna for IC-706MKII

"ultravista" wrote in message

I recently acquired an Icom IC-706MKII radio. My plan, before I get my
license and begin transmitting, is to use the radio for a general
coverage and shortwave receiving.

The IC-706 has two coaxial antenna ports and I am looking for antenna
suggestions for monitoring shortwave. I live in a house and have the
ability to string just about anything up.

Looking for recommendations for a great all-around shortwave antenna
that will connect to the coaxial port.

As NM5K said, just about any wire stuck in the HF antenna port will work.
As you plan on getting a license, you may want to look at what is often
called a Carolina Windom. It is a wire about 130 feet long, about 45 feet
from one the wire is cut and a 4 to 1 balun is put in. From this, about 20
feet of coax comes down, then a bead type choke is installed, and from there
enough coax to reach into the shack. The 20 feet of coax should be vertical
if possiable. This antenna will often need a tuner to transmitt with, but
for receiving, it will work very well without one. I use that type with my
Icom 746 and it works very well at 50 feet.
I have also used it at around 30 feet with a 706 and it works ok.