Old October 15th 12, 02:00 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Wire antenna feed-line questions

"gipy" wrote in message
I am using a long wire in the trees coming straight to my tuner but I need
to route the feed line underground to keep it stealth and I can't seem to
find any articles on this topic.
My question...
I would like to use insulated wire or does it have to be coax only and
would I lose performance?
Someone told this type of antenna would act as a lighting rod and would be
dangerous.
My other question...
Why would it be more dangerous than any other antenna when most receivers
and transceivers are grounded in some way?
Thanks in advance

You can not burry a single wire feed to a long wire. When the wire leaves
the transmitter/tuner it becomes part of the antenna. If you have to use a
long wire and a burried transmission line, you need a remote tuner and go
from the transmitter to the tuner with coax. Even if you use open wire/twin
lead for the transmission line, you need to keep it several inches from the
dirt. Almost impossiable to do. It will not make any differance if the
wire is insulated or not if it is under ground.