Old October 27th 12, 04:28 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Boomer[_2_] Boomer[_2_] is offline

Default Dipole advice?

On 10/26/2012 6:22 PM, Tom wrote:
Hi
I got myself an old Alpha Delta DX CC now, it is old, very green. coils
look green also.

I want to rewind those coils or even rewire the entire thing.

This is the 82ft no trap 80 through 10 dipole. Also includes 12, 17 and 30.

Any advice from the group? I see the coils are using a much thinner
wire, new ones look nice and copper, this one is very green.

What size wire can those coils be? Can I just continue the copper length
for the 80m leg and instead of separate copper winding just use the same
copper and wind it around that winding core?

With the coil is the critical factor its length or number of coils?

Any advice from the group is greatly appreciated

73s

82' No Trap 80 thru 10 Dipole.And it is great ALL bands. This includes
12, 17, and 30.

There are a lot of variables here. Most of which I do not understand. I
have enough experience to know that the number of turns in the coils is
most important and the diameter of the coil is important. If you use the
larger wire for the coils it will likely take a large coil form. You can
certainly use the same wire for the whole antenna. I am just thinking
that if they used thinner wire for the coils, you will not be able to
get enough turns on the form to get the same inductance.

If I were in your place, I would use some insulated stranded #14 house
wire for the whole thing. I would also buy some pvc pipe to allow the
same number of coil turns (and same diameter). If it worked fine before
you started this project, copying it wire length for wire length and
turn for turn would be my plan.

Michael