Old October 30th 12, 03:23 PM
Blackhawks1 Blackhawks1 is offline
Junior Member

Default Icom R71 Repair

Hello.I'm new here and thought I'd throw this out there to see if anyone else has encountered this problem with the R71 radio.I recently took one of my R71s out of storage and the signal meter pegs to the right even when no antenn is hooked up.If I turn the preamp off it settles do about the middle of the scale.Someone told me it had to do with the voltage inverter going bad.This circuit is on the matrix board inside a metal can labled PS2.From what I understand a transistor gois bad inside this and has to be replaced.I opened the metal housing up and removed the small pcb inside.Supposedly the replacement transistor is a 2SD400.I went to the local electronics store(not-rip-me-off Shack) and they sold me a NTE382 transistor.Is this a proper replacement for it?I'm going to replace the electrolytic caps.in the circuit which may have caused the problem in the first placd.I'm going to recap the rest of the radio too once I get this straightened out.When I recap the radio,will this nessitate a realignment?Does anyone have a suggestion on where to send it for alignment?Thanks