Old October 30th 12, 01:23 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
W5DXP W5DXP is offline

Default Dipole advice?

On Monday, October 29, 2012 2:45:22 PM UTC-5, Boomer wrote:
I still think you should do this yourself. Just ABing the receiver is an
important test. G5RVs have a reputation that I cannot personally confirm
of being noisy. I do know for certain that some antennas produce more
noise than others.

I've spent many years experimenting with G5RVs including field strength measurements vs a dipole and a vertical. When someone has a problem with a G5RV on 75m, it is invariably because good engineering practice was not used in that particular design and installation. An inverted-V at 15 feet with no choke/balun and twinlead taped to a conductive pole and/or laying on the ground is certainly not going to work very well. With both antennas properly designed and installed, it is difficult to tell the difference at resonance on 75m. However, the G5RV is fairly non-functional on 30m, 17m, 15m, and 10m. 17m and 10m are necessities for me and that's why I don't use one. I bought a G5RV in the late 80's expecting it to live up to its all-HF band advertising and I was disappointed. That's when I went to my no-tuner all-HF-band 130' dipole.

http://www.w5dxp.com/notuner.htm

Like any dipole where the two dipole elements are DC isolated from each other, the G5RV is susceptible to precipitation static. An RF choke across the conductors will solve that problem.