Old November 6th 12, 04:07 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
John Ferrell[_3_] John Ferrell[_3_] is offline

Default Dx engineering 1:1 balun or ugly balun?

An interesting thought. I have not read anything that discussed it
before.
Perhaps both the W2DX choke and the ugly balun?

Or may be one is really enough?

On Mon, 5 Nov 2012 12:21:37 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

"kb8viv" wrote in message

Hey gang, i was working on my full wave horizontal 80 mtr loop and
decided to add either an "ugly balun," or possibly a dx engineering 1:1
balun. The antenna is abt 275 ft long and is currently just fed
directly with coax, and I use it for 10-80 operation with a tuner.

Obviously, i like the cost of building an ugly balun, but will it work
as good as the 1:1 dx engineering balun? Thanks in advance.

73's de kb8viv

I do not ever recall seeing it, but maybe two 'ugly baluns" could be used.
One with say 10 turns (or what ever) and then a few feet away another with
20 turns. One would be good for say 3 to 15 mhz and the other good for 15
to 30 mhz.

However by the time you use this much coax, the bead type choke may be
cheaper.

John Ferrell W8CCW