Old November 6th 12, 07:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
No Name

Default Hurricane Sandy and ARES

On Mon, 5 Nov 2012 22:31:33 EST, Klystron wrote:

I haven't heard any ARES activity related to the hurricane. Were
there any HF nets? Is there any activity coming out of the areas that
are still without power? Does ARES still exist, other than on paper?

I don't have any details about ARES activity in Hurricane Sandy. But
I suspect that ARES/RACES helped out. You should see some info on the
ARRL web site as soon as they recover from the hurricane.

ARES is alive and well in my part of the U.S.: Nevada. In my town of
Pahrump, NV (60 miles west of las Vegas), our ARES group is active
with about 25 members (out of 350 licensed hams in a town of 35,000
population). We meet once a month, have a weekly 2-meter net, and
have several drills and public assistance events (parades, races,
etc.) each year. We work closely with Nye County Emergency Management
Services. We use their building for meetings and training as well as
for VE exams. The county purchased HF, VHF and UHF ham gear complete
with antennas for use in their buildings in Pahrump, Beatty and
Tonopah.

Dick Grady, AC7EL
To respond to me privately, email to:
My Call at My Call dot org