Old November 8th 12, 03:13 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Tom[_8_] Tom[_8_] is offline

Default Marine antenna ??

I wasn't sure if the threads were straight as the bolt or tapered as npt
(national pipe taper).

I was trying to avoid buying the actual proper thread base (OEM), thought a
pipe nipple would work but it didn't, thought a bolt would work but it
didn't.

So was wondering if the threads were chewed and that was the reason it
wasn't working. I don't have that size tap anyway. Mabey a pipe tap but not
a 1" national fine thread straight tap.

Wanted to make a base but now see they are only 20 bucks on fleabay

What would be the best antenna for 2m one could fit up within the 8ft
fiberglass shell? That simple cutting of the coax can't be the best can it?
This new fiberglass whip I just got is one of the good old ones, very solid
and not flaky or nothing like the new shakespear ones they are producing. My
cover breaks those too easy.

"Jeff Liebermann" wrote in message
On Wed, 7 Nov 2012 18:50:16 -0500, "Tom" wrote:

Does the Shakespear or standard marine antenna base that is 1" 14tpi fit
anything else?

Yes, some farm impliments that I blundered across in the 1970's.
1"-14 UNS (class 2a and 2b) are used only for marine mounts. UNS
means "Unified National Special" which makes it a defacto standard
thread.

What about 1" national fine thread hex bolt? Or 3/4" npt plumbing type
thread?

Did you perhaps notice that the 1"-14 UNS thread is a straight thread,
while all the NPT plumbing threads are tapered?

Anyone have any luck using something else without ruining the
threads? I cannot use one of their oem swivel base things for the
application I thinking of doing.

I'll do everyone a favor and not describe some of the antenna mounting
abortions that I've seen in the Moss Landing and SCZ harbors, and at a
former employer in the marine biz. Let's just say that it can be made
to fit a variety of non-standard mounts, in a wide variety of ways,
most of really disgusting.

thnx for any advice,

So, what are you trying to accomplish?

--