Old November 8th 12, 04:26 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Marine antenna ??

On Wed, 7 Nov 2012 22:13:50 -0500, "Tom" wrote:

I wasn't sure if the threads were straight as the bolt or tapered as npt
(national pipe taper).

1"-15 UNS are straight threads. If it's expected to be under
pressure, it's tapered. If there's no pressure involved, it's usually
straight threads (or no threads).

I was trying to avoid buying the actual proper thread base (OEM), thought a
pipe nipple would work but it didn't, thought a bolt would work but it
didn't.

So was wondering if the threads were chewed and that was the reason it
wasn't working. I don't have that size tap anyway. Mabey a pipe tap but not
a 1" national fine thread straight tap.

1" UNF is 12 TPI (threads per inch).
1" UNC is 9 TPI
http://www.gewinde-normen.de/en/unified-fine-thread.html?

Wanted to make a base but now see they are only 20 bucks on fleabay

$13 for plastic:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/150781789267
Plenty more to choose from:
www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=marine+antenna+mount

What would be the best antenna for 2m one could fit up within the 8ft
fiberglass shell?

What's a "shell"? I'm visualizing a giant fiberglass clam shell. Very
marine looking, but not your typical vessel. Can you be a bit more
specific?

Does 2m mean 144-148MHz ham radio, or a 6ft marine fiberglass antenna?

That simple cutting of the coax can't be the best can it?

I don't understand. That "best" at doing what?

This new fiberglass whip I just got is one of the good old ones, very solid
and not flaky or nothing like the new shakespear ones they are producing. My
cover breaks those too easy.

First a "shell", than an ambiguous use of 2meters, followed by a vague
"best", and now a "cover". Perhaps you've had an overdose of election
year rhetoric and are trying to emulate the politicians by being
vague. Hopefully, it's not contageous. Some clarification would be
helpful.

If you look inside the older (1970') 3ft and 6ft fiberglass whips,
you'll get an interesting surprise. Most of the antenna is sticky
back copper tape, about 1/4" wide, and glued to the inside of the
fiberglass taper. The fatter antennas are usually better built out of
copper plated welding rod. The best are stainless rod. The problem
is you can't really tell unless you tear it apart.

How to mount a 2.4GHz omni on a 1"-14 marine antenna mount:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/antennas/marine-omni/index.html

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D