Old November 8th 12, 12:40 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Dave Platt Dave Platt is offline

Default Hurricane Sandy and ARES

In article ,
Paul W. Schleck wrote:

In Channel Jumper
writes:

[...]

And with the general mindset - most Amateur Radio Operators - at least a
majority of them only has a Technician Class License, hence they cannot
participate in ARES activities.

[...]

A General-class or higher license is not required for ARES, either
nationally:

"Every licensed amateur, regardless of membership in ARRL or any other
local or national organization is eligible to apply for membership in
ARES."

(http://www.arrl.org/ares)

Yup. Probably half of my city's registered ARES participants hold a
Technician license, and most of these Techs have gone through the
background checks needed to be formally sworn into RACES as well.

My city ARES/RACES Emergency Coordinator (my boss in this stuff) was a
Technician for the first five or six years of my participation. He
was Morse-code-averse, and didn't go for his General until the FCC
eliminated the Morse Code proficiency requirement.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO