Old August 15th 04, 04:34 AM
w4udx

I'm no transformer expert, but the transformer you mention may be kind of
lossy for an audio application. I would look for a suitable audio
transformer at
www.mouser.com . I believe power transformers are wound using larger wire
and forms, and are designed to be efficient at their operating frequency of
60Hz....

Mark W4UDX

"PDRUNEN" wrote in message
Hi Group,

Got a 706 which has a 500 or 600 ohm mic input impedance. I have a D104

which
best I can tell has a high output impedance.

If I use a 60Hz step down transformer, say, 120V in gives 10v out, the

turn
ratio is 120/10 or 12:1. Given that I attach the mic output to the

primary and
the rig on the secondary, this should step down the impedance by a factor

of
12^2 or 144 so that a D104 with 50K on the output is now seen as about 400

ohm.

Here are a few questions,

1: Will a 60Hz transformer work well keeping the base sound and pass upto
3KHz?

2: Is the calculation of the impedance correct?

3: Would the audio as seen on the secondary be reduced by a factor of 12

such
that the audio would be weak?

4: Other?

Tnx de KJ4UO