Old November 8th 12, 02:00 PM
Channel Jumper Channel Jumper is offline
Senior Member

Only the link from the county EOC to the
State OEM is on HF and that only because the state bought the
equipment after the big storms of 2007 and gave it to us.

That is the problem with HAMS today - many of them do not have the proper equipment - especially the Technician Class License Holder..
They believe that the repeaters are going to work and that everything is going to be provided for them.

The one local group called me on the phone and said - Hey, the county Xpeter is down, can you turn your friends repeater on so we can use it?
My answer was - when I said we needed help to repair the repeater, everyone told me - we have the county repeater, we don't need yours.
Then when the county tower went down in the storm - all of a sudden you need me. The problem was - I was 120 road miles away and the repeater was still broke.

The locals up there - doesn't have any of their own radio equipment, hence they run down to the EOC where the county gave them some repurposed hand held radios...

One guy has a HF radio, but the only thing he does on it is MARS - which technicially isn't a part of ARES or Amateur Radio. MARS is Military radio...