Old November 10th 12, 04:25 PM
Channel Jumper Channel Jumper is offline
Senior Member

[quote='Tom[_8_];798370']

I was trying to avoid buying the actual proper thread base (OEM), thought a
pipe nipple would work but it didn't, thought a bolt would work but it
didn't.

Wanted to make a base but now see they are only 20 bucks on fleabay

What would be the best antenna for 2m one could fit up within the 8ft
fiberglass shell? That simple cutting of the coax can't be the best can it?

Well Jeff The OP said he would like to use the marine antenna in place of a 2 meter antenna.
YOU ANSWERED YOUR OWN QUESTION WHEN YOU ADVISED HIM THAT THERE WAS TOO MUCH DISPARITY BETWEEN TWO METERS AND THE MARINE BAND.
That was my point when I said to throw it away and buy another antenna.

Your advice was that although the X510 was about the same size, it had too much gain to be of use on a rolling ship.

Then you just go to the next obvious antenna.
The Diamond V2000 would give the OP 2 meters, 70 CM and also 6 meters with the same antenna and is only 6' long - or there abouts.