Old November 12th 12, 12:12 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Tom[_8_] Tom[_8_] is offline

Default Marine antenna ??

Thanks Channel Jumper

I don't think my questions are "stupid".

First off, you didn't answer my last question, you sounded pretty
intelligent with your swaying me thoroughly into oblivia, completely around
my question.

It is obvious you understood the question, probably knew the answer, but
didn't answer my question. Remember Channel Jumper, radio wave propagation
and antenna theory was not what I majored in at the schools. I did graduate
you know. I mean a accredited university gave me my masters. Do you have any
accredation at all? Well then you cannot call me "stupid". I am willing to
bet my career required a lot more years of study than yours. And continuous
learning and upgrading. Yes, you are very knowledgable in regards to antenna
work, however follow me for a day and I am sure you would be asking a lot of
"stupid" questions.

I will ignore negative comments from you. But you still didn't answer my
last question, you brilliantly jigged right around it. Wouldn't touch it. I
figured you didn't know the answer yet it was on topic, about the coils of
the dipole, but you went right around it twice. Why not just say you don't
know the specific answer? Instead of trying to thrill me with your wealth of
knowledge on antenna design and engineering, I just wanted to know lengths
and widths. But you read a page from your first year electrical theory
course to me that went right around my question.

"Channel Jumper" wrote in message

You really stuck your foot into this one Bruce, now you are going to be
stuck answering stupid questions for the next couple of weeks.

The Fiberglass Shell as the OP called it is called a Radome.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radome

The problem the OP has - besides being cheap and wanting something for
nothing is the fact that he does not understand what is inside of the
radome.

If you disassemble and Antron A99 or a Diamond X 500 - once inside, you
will find a piece of copper wire or steel wire or stainless steel wire
that is usually copper plated.
Between each section - spaced for certain wavelengths is capacitors of
unknown origin which makes the antenna into segments - some for 2 meters
and some for 70 CM.
This is what gives it its gain.
These are purpose built antenna's for those frequencies..

You cannot take a Marine antenna - that uses a different frequency and
use it on amateur frequencies - due to the fact that there is no way to
get internally inside of the antenna and change the lengths of the
segments of the wires inside of the antenna.

Unfortunately - there is not a lot of educated Elmers out there that are
willing to help a newbe - just due to the fact that most of the people
who are left in Amateur Radio came from the CB radio and they were not
knowledgeable - like the ones who came before them.

Most of them never built anything in their life and are just appliance
operators.

I believe I had this conversation with this person or another person
like this person previously.. My advice was that if the threads are of
a ******* Origin and you are not willing to repair them or buy the mount
to throw away the antenna..

They do not make a tap and die or make one that is economically feasable
to repair a $10.00 antenna.. When you get into non standard threads -
if you can find a tap and die - they tend to be quite pricey..

We are talking $60 - $100 each...

You would have to fix a whole bunch of antenna's just to break even, and
it wouldn't be economical to buy it to fix one antenna.
You could buy a Diamond X 510 for about $150.00 and it would be already
designed for the frequencys you desire to operate on.

JMHO
CJ

--
Channel Jumper