Old August 15th 04, 07:32 PM
Allodoxaphobia

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 15:12:54 GMT, DO NOT REPLY to this ADDRESS hath writ:
My brother, circa 1965, was working on a six volt Chevrolet.

His ring got between the battery terminal and ground. (Don't ask me
how.)

He ended up with a destroyed ring and a finger with a very painful burn
around it.

No permanent damage but come to think about it he's a little weird even
today. Hmmm.... but isn't everybody weird but you and me and I sometimes
wonder about...

My dad (the first W3DHJ) told me an almost identical story.

It was in the late 20's. He was working on _his_ dad's Ford utility
truck. (Grandpa owned a dairy in Big Bear, Calif.) Six volts here, too.
The truck was parked in the driveway -- just outside the garage.
When my dad caught his ring between the positive terminal and the truck
frame, my Grandpa picked him up bodily -- ran him over to the rain barrel
at the corner of the garage -- and stuffed my dad's entire left arm (and
much of his upper torso) into the barrel.

( *The worst* thing you could do in a situation like that is try to _pull_
the ring off.)

My dad was a 90-day wonder in WW II. He then spent 25+ years in the U.S.
Army Corps of Engineers (we traveled the planet....) Most of his
duty assignments were as (Deputy) Post Engineer -- with the added
responsibity as Post Safety Officer. I always knew him to be
evangelically anal about safety. I'm sure that incident with the old
Ford truck had a wee bit to do with it.

73
Jonesy