Old November 14th 12, 04:44 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Handheld for new Technician Class License holder

"Justin" wrote in message
Hi folks. I just past the first basic HAM radio test. I was looking at
getting a hand held radio that I can keep in my car or in my backpack for
use in am emergency, like the 2003 Northeast Blackout.
The problem is, there must be a billion choices out there!
I'm not rich, and I'm not on food stamps either. I'm willing to spend a
pretty decent amount for a product that's worth it.
I'm in the US.

I think I would look at a Wouxun KG-UVD1P. This is a dual band Ht and can
be bought for around $ 110 to $ 125 depending on where and what extras you
get. Be sure to get the programming cable with it. While you can program
them without the cable, it is worth the extra couple of bucks. Softwear for
it is free.

I have one and several others in the club have them. Be sure to get one
from a dealer in the US and not order from China off ebay. There is nothing
wrong with this, except if you do get a bad one, it is just easier to deal
with locally.

Here is an ebay number for one to look at.
261125157834

I know nothing about this dealer,but it seems he is in China where the
radios are made.

There are a couple of others with a number of 2 or 3 in it that seem to be
the same radio in a differant case.

There is another company that makes one about like it for around $ 50 called
Baofeng. I do not know anything about that brand.