Old November 15th 12, 06:01 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Patty Winter Patty Winter is offline

Default Handheld for new Technician Class License holder

In article ,
Justin wrote:
Hi folks. I just past the first basic HAM radio test. I was looking at
getting a hand held radio that I can keep in my car or in my backpack
for use in am emergency, like the 2003 Northeast Blackout.
The problem is, there must be a billion choices out there!
I'm not rich, and I'm not on food stamps either. I'm willing to spend a
pretty decent amount for a product that's worth it.

How about attending some of the meetings of the club that gave you your
ham (not "HAM," btw) test and talking to members about their HTs?

Check the website of that club, your local ARRL section, or the
main ARRL website (http://www.arrl.org/hamfests-and-conventions-calendar)
for upcoming hamfests where a variety of units might be for sale and
you can find out more about your options.

Unfortunately, the Ham Radio Outlet website doesn't have product
reviews, but I found this site that does:

http://www.eham.net/reviews/products/49

I hope you plan to use it more than just for a once-a-decade emergency!
If you get on the air frequently, you'll know what repeaters are available
in your area, whom you can talk to simplex if the repeaters go down, etc.

Good luck!

Patty N6BIS