Old November 15th 12, 07:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Dave Platt Dave Platt is offline

Default Handheld for new Technician Class License holder

Justin wrote:
Hi folks. I just past the first basic HAM radio test. I was looking at
getting a hand held radio that I can keep in my car or in my backpack
for use in am emergency, like the 2003 Northeast Blackout.
The problem is, there must be a billion choices out there!
I'm not rich, and I'm not on food stamps either. I'm willing to spend a
pretty decent amount for a product that's worth it.

I'd suggest that you make contact with your city/county ARES
organization, as they are likely to be the people most familiar with
"ham radio during local emergencies" issues.

They could probably provide you with some advice as to which HTs have
and have not worked out well for their members - reliable, easy to
use, easy to program, and having the features and bands needed for
communication in your area.

They can also probably help you with additional learning, about how to
communicate effectively during an emergency. There's a lot more to it
than "grab the radio, tune to a channel, hit PTT, and yell for help".

In my area (about 45 minutes south of SF), we teach a couple of
classes fairly regularly. One is an "OK, I passed the test and got my
license... *now* what do I do?" class for new hams - it's intended to
give first-level experience with HT programming, proper protocol and
etiquette when using simplex and repeater communications, that sort of
thing... how to get on the air effectively.

The next is a "fundamentals of emergency communications" training.
It's an initial training for people interested in organized emergency
communication support (ARES/RACES, Red Cross, etc.) and is useful for
anyone concerned about how to use ham radio (or similar, such as GMRS
and neighborhood FRS for CERT) in an emergency or disaster.

Your community (ARES or ham-club) may have something similar.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO