Old August 16th 04, 01:37 AM
Reg Edwards

The place was the same lab in Hong Kong.

There was a chinese lady who came in each day to sweep the floor and remove
the EF50 valves, etc, which had been replaced because of low cathode
emission.

It was my habit to point the radar scanner into the room, stand in the beam
and quickly put put a neon lamp into my mouth. The lamp always lit up
brightly.

Whenever I did this the lady used to run out of the room terrified at the
magic sight.

Just the sort of trick a 21-year-old RAF radar mechanic would play.

Being in the Far East, the anti-radar defence rumour, spread by the Germans,
that exposure to radar beams caused sterilisation to radar mechanics had not
reached me.

Anyway, as my wife at intervals some years later allowed me to think, I
eventually became the father of 5 children.
---
Reg