Old August 17th 04, 02:41 PM
Bill

In message , Paul Burridge
writes
Hi all,

Anyone got any high-current/low-voltage horror stories they'd care to
share? You know; where your messin' about with a car battery or
something like that and forget to take your watch off or whatever.

p.

Although I knew how crowbar protection worked on PSUs I was shown in a
dramatic way when I used a bench PSU to charge a car battery, for what
ever reason the crowbar operated and put a short across the battery,
lots of bright white wire and smoke for a few seconds.
A colleague of mine was a vehicle radio fitter and always wore metal
watch straps, until the day one bridged a battery supply and chassis. He
always wears a leather strap now and takes his watch off before working.
How more of us are not maimed or killed I'm not sure.
--
Bill