View Single Post
  #6   Report Post  
Old December 9th 12, 04:24 PM

First recorded activity by RadioBanter: Jan 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin[_3_] View Post
I was thinking of getting a pair of handheld CBs for emergencies.

Amateur Radio is not CB RADIO = I think you have the two confused.
I'm

in the US just FYI since each country has a billion different standards.
I saw a story about Hurricane Sandy, where a family member went out to
help somebody down the road. Wouldn't it be nice if he brought a radio
so he could communicate with the people he left at home? Since I my
area was amazingly lucky and had literally zero damage even though the
storm passed right over us. Things could have been very different. It
got me thinking that if I were in that situation.

In order for radio to work, you have to have two transceivers on the same frequency and someone to operate them properly..
CB RADIO has no rules - hence it has no intelligence.
Because it is not a licensed entienty - you cannot rely on channel 9 to be available when your emergency arises..

I was thinking of a set of UHF, GMRS, or even business band radios.

GMRS requires a LICENSE! PERIOD! THe license costs around $85 for 10 years. It only works - LINE OF SIGHT..
Until you understand communications - you will realize that a 1 or 2 WATT WALKIE TALKIE WILL ONLY TALK AS FAR AS YOU CAN SEE - WHICH ISN'T MUCH HELP IN A EMERGENCY.. If you were up on a high mountain - you could see pretty far, as so if you were atop a mast of a ship in the middle of Lake Erie...

I knew I would be breaking the law using them, but during an emergency I
don't think anybody would come after me.
Yes they would come after you - first because AMATEUR RADIO requires a license and proper training, and unless you have the proper training - you wouldn't be of any use to anyone......

I would not use them every day.

Again - another misconception - to be an effective communicator - you have to do it all the time.. The problem with CB radio is that there is no one to talk to.
With GMRS - you would have to use someone else's repeater, which repeater owners do not like people rag chewing on their frequencies, when they rent out their repeaters to their customers - it takes money out of their pockets.

With AMATEUR RADIO - if you use their repeaters, no one will talk to a unlicensed person - you would get them into as much trouble as you would be getting yourself into..

I'm thinking CB might be a good idea too, since there are probably
more people on it and they could listen in and possibly help. A good
thing if emergency services are stretched if operating at all.

CB cannot work in a emergency, because you will always have morons that are jamming the frequencies, and people who are acting stupid and no one that really wants to help you. It requires two people with common sense and a clear frequency..

Because CB radio is global - you cannot find a clear frequency anymore, because there is one million idiots all screaming and yelling at the same time when the band is open and no one except truck drivers and idiots when it is not! The world has moved on and the CB radio has been left behind...

Eventually I plan on getting a HAM license, and being part of the local
Amateur Radio Emergency Service (ARES).
What is your input? Any specific models or brands of radio I should get
that fits the bill?
ARES - Amateur Radio Emergency Services - requires you to join ARES, to participate in at least 75% of their nets and activities..
Their nets takes place on 80 meters - 3.800 - 3.999 MHz - which requires you to have a General Class or higher license.

Both the Technician and the General requires you to pass a 35 question, multiple guess test.
Each time you upgrade - you will be requires to learn more.

The problem is - then you need a transceiver that can do 80 meters, a 80 meter antenna, feed line, a power supply, a tuner - since most antenna's are not resonant on 80 meters except for a 80 meters dipole - very large antenna, or a Barker & Williamson BWD 90 which is about the same size as a G5RV - fits in a space about 100 feet long and needs to be 60 or more feet in the air.

That is out of reach of most city dwellers and people who lives within a covenant - housing development plan.

Although amateur radio now has more licensed operators then any other time.
Historically - it is loosing its core members at a proportional rate, and the old members would need to mentor the new members to make them contributing members of society.

The problem is - most of the newer members comes from the CB radio and we can't teach them nothing because their mouths are open and their minds are shut.

CB radio mentality is if you cannot make contact - use more power.

They don't understand how antenna's radiate the power applied and they don't understand how communications works.
ALL THEY WANT TO DO IS TALK!

I would suggest that you find a real amateur radio club and join it.

Get some advice from some real hams - if you can find them.

Do as much internet research as possible - learn as much as you can learn.