Old August 20th 04, 05:46 PM
John Miles

In article , says...
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/busine...oldheat16.html

They are essentially worthless (at $20, I couldn't resist the chance to
try one). They are unable to put enough current through an object to
heat it to solder-melting temperature, unless the object is very small
and delicate (read: a solid-state component that would be easy to damage
by using a soldering iron that deliberately passes current through the
connection being made). It is tough to solder anything larger than or
equal to the size of a 1/8-watt resistor lead with this iron, and you
can forget doing antenna work or anything else that requires serious
heat delivery.

It might have worked a bit better if they had dropped their series R and
required lithium AA cells. As things stand, the miniature butane iron
sold by Radio Shack at about the same price is a much better deal.

-- jm

http://www.qsl.net/ke5fx
Note: My E-mail address has been altered to avoid spam