Old December 15th 12, 08:28 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
you you is offline

Default CB radio for emergencies?

In article ,
Channel Jumper wrote:

'Justin[_4_ Wrote:
;799509']On 12/11/2012 3:36 PM, Bruce Gordon wrote:-
In ,
wrote:
-
What about those TriSquare radios? I know TriSquare is toast, but was
the technology any good?-

The technology used in the TriSquare is the same as found in the
iDen/ISM Nextel Cellphones when used in direcTalk Mode... They used
the
same Motorola chipset. These Phones are available on eBay for DIRT
CHEAP
($10US or less each) They are Part15 Devices and ARE SECURE Comms with
about the same range as FRS Radios. They are 902-928 Mhz Spread
Spectrum
Radios... and if you are a Tech Class or Higher Ham, you can boost
Output Power up to 10 Watts, and patch in any External Antennas you
like.
A full writeup can be found at:
http://tinyurl.com/cbdaxd8
for-your-cn-aoo.33828/
-

That sounds pretty damn awesome!

Is Trisquare going out of business?

I would contact the ARRL before I would make a investment like that..
There is a pretty good chance that what you are talking about is not
legal.
I don't know if those phones are Part 97 approved and I am not sure if
spread spectrum or digital phone is legal - because of the way it might
be scrambled being a phone and all.
Second problem is that in order for any type of communications to work -
you need to have two radios on the same frequency and I highly doubt
that in a emergency you are going to find people operating on 900 mHz..

As a matter of fact, unless you are in a big metropolitan area - you
probably won't even hear anyone operating on 220 MHz anymore..

Most Technician's are relegated to two meters phone - due to the fact
that most walkie talkies are two meters and the cheapest mobile radios
are two meters only..

Even just getting someone to buy a dual band transceiver or better
equipment is like pulling teeth...

Like I tell all perspective hams - get a license and join a real ham
radio club and LEARN... Find a Elmer - don't think that you can do it
on your own..

Your an Idiot.... There is NO Part 97 Approval required for
Transmitters, only for Amplifiers that are built "For Sale"...
I mean, REALLY... Duh.....

These units are Part 15 Devices when used in the 902-928 Mhz ISM Band,
which is co-Located with the 902-928 Ham Band, which is a Secondary Use
Ham band.... So any use of the device, by a HAM of Tech Class or Higher,
may ADD External Antennas and Amplifiers, as long as they do NOT exceed
the Power Limit of 10 Watts, which was added to Part 97 this last spring,
in a Report and Order from the FCC, which changed the Allowed Power
Output for Spread Spectrum Frequency Hopping Systems in the 902-928 Mhz
Ham Band to 10 Watts.... Duh....

Your Scrambling Theory, is also BOGUS, in that it is NOT Scrambling but
Digital Modulation, which by it's nature is unrecoverable without
knowing the Spreading Code, and Spectrum Chunk, USED..... DUH...

You just don't get it, do you.... These type Units are for SECURE Comms
within a Group... Not for communicating with unknown Users.... They
allow the Group, to communicate within their Group, knowing that their
Comms ARE SECURE from Scanners, and DF'ing non-Group outsiders. They
ALSO allow individuals in any Group, to move to Private SECURE Unit to
Unit Mode, that allows only those two Units to have a SECURE Comms
interchange, that can't be heard by any other of the Groups Users, by
using the Programmable Ten Digit Unit Number of the other Unit for the
Spreading Code, instead of using one of the 1-15 preProgrammed Spreading
Codes, which are used in Squad Comms Mode.....

Must be nice to comment on Technology that you have NO CLUE, about...
Kind of like a Talking Head on the Boobtube.... Are you Blond?