Old December 18th 12, 07:47 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
[email protected] frank@notvalid.it is offline

Default Geloso G.222 TR help

Edmund H. Ramm wrote:

I found in the technical bullettin n.83 the schematic and alignment
instructions. The first thing I noticed is the G1 of 6146 is supposed
to be at -85V in CW tx. How is that possible since the only negative
supply in this transmitter is -50V? I infact measured -50V when in CW mode,
but I didn't key the transmitter as the 8289 died before I could try.

Those -50V you measured are the protective bias. When excited, the
resulting grid current will add to the protective bias.

ah that's why... It's working in C class with G1 current! I would never
expect an AM TX final amplifier to work in something else than A or B class.
Thanks for the hint. Do you know if this protective bias should be present
also when the G.222 is operated in AM position?

Tnx,
73 Frank IZ8DWF