Old July 10th 03, 01:00 AM
H. Adam Stevens

Default HF Mobile Antenna Comparisons

Gosh Cecil.
That's pretty much what I've seen with a little field strength meter on the
hood over the last 40 years of mobiling..
And certainly the biggest, center loaded, resonant, matched antennas are
vastly better than a non-resonant whip and a tuner.
All this second-guessing about shootouts will never cause a tuner-and-a-whip
to beat a 13 foot resonant monster.
Personally I think competition makes folks think about their radio
installations.
That's a good thing.
73
H.
NQ5H

"W5DXP" wrote in message
G.Balinski wrote:

Has anyone put together a recent test of mobile HF antennas? I

think
that I remembered something in past years called a "shoot out" or

something
like that. As far as I remember though, it was as much of a test of the
installation of the antennas as the antennas themselves as different
vehicles and install methods were used. It would be nice to see on
objective comparison of the various units like the Hustler series, Ham
Stick, all the variants of the screw driver antennas, the Texas

Bugcatcher,
etc. all mounted on the same platform with the same grounding system,

etc.

Anyone seen such a test ?

Here it is in a nutshell for 75m. Bugcatchers with large top hats and
screwdrivers with large top hats are close to equal at the top of the

heap.

Taking away the top hat costs about 2 dB. ~30-40% loss of power

Hustler and Outbacker are about 9 dB down from the top. ~85% loss

Hamstick is about 12 dB down from the top. ~95% loss

11.5' whip is about 13 dB down from the top. A 102" whip
would be even worse.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp