Old January 12th 13, 08:20 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Patty Winter Patty Winter is offline

Default ARRL drops the other shoe on print version of QST

In article , Bill Horne wrote:
I just got the email from the ARRL:

"QST's Stacking Up? Get Digital QST Only".

... with a button to push if I want to opt out of getting the "dead
tree" version of QST.

What do you mean by "ARRL drops the other shoe"? Are they making the
digital edition mandatory?

From what I've seen of the online edition, it looks like the pdf file
that was sent to the printer to make the paper-and-ink version. The
articles are shown in page-image format, which means that each page
appears as it would if I were holding the paper-and-ink version open,
but with the lower 2/3 of each page obscured.

Hmmm, I'm not seeing any obscuration. Is it some kind of shaded gray
that's covering the bottom part of the page? Oh, and to be clear, are
you talking about the Nxtbook version of QST on the ARRL website, or
did you find a way to actually download a PDF file? Oftentimes, these
flashy online digital magazines let you download a PDF version, but
all I see with this one is an option to run their software on your
computer. No thanks. :-)

If you're hoping that the League will convert each issue to HTML
format, complete with nice layout and graphics, I wouldn't hold
my breath on that. The reason companies choose solutions such as
Nxtbook is because it's a lot easier and cheaper than redoing the
layout in HTML.

Patty