Old January 13th 13, 04:39 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Red Blade Red Blade is offline

Default ARRL drops the other shoe on print version of QST

On Sat, 12 Jan 2013 12:35:38 -0500, Bill Horne wrote:

I just got the email from the ARRL:

"QST's Stacking Up? Get Digital QST Only".

... with a button to push if I want to opt out of getting the "dead
tree" version of QST.

Now, let me make it clear that I don't have any problem with people who
want the printed version. I also don't have a quarrel with those who
prefer an online publication.

But ...

I'm not an ARRL fan, so I don't know about what QST is doing right now,
but we won't get into that.

The only way I will subscribe to a "digital magazine" is if it's a DRM-
free PDF file (like K9YA is).

CQ/PopComm/WorldRadio use some proprietary format called Zinio, which
from what I heard, makes the magazine ads as pop-up ads to click off, and
cannot be converted to PDF (though they do say the articles can be
printed, so I guess Bullzip or something might work for part of the
article).

No freedom, no open standards: I choose paper or a blog's RSS feed.

--

Red Blade

President of alt.politics, alt.fan.rush-limbaugh, & talk.politics.misc
Fanfiction Committee Chairman of alt.tv.beavis-n-butthead

http://www.libertycolumns.com/