Old January 13th 13, 05:32 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Bill Horne[_4_] Bill Horne[_4_] is offline

Default ARRL drops the other shoe on print version of QST

On 1/12/2013 3:20 PM, Patty Winter wrote:
In , Bill wrote:
From what I've seen of the online edition, it looks like the pdf file
that was sent to the printer to make the paper-and-ink version. The
articles are shown in page-image format, which means that each page
appears as it would if I were holding the paper-and-ink version open,
but with the lower 2/3 of each page obscured.

Hmmm, I'm not seeing any obscuration. Is it some kind of shaded gray
that's covering the bottom part of the page?

No, it's simply not on my screen, as if I were trying to read the
printed version with a book on top of the magazine, covering the lower
2/3 of the page.

Oh, and to be clear, are you talking about the Nxtbook version of
QST on the ARRL website, or did you find a way to actually download
a PDF file? Oftentimes, these flashy online digital magazines let
you download a PDF version, but all I see with this one is an
option to run their software on your computer. No thanks. :-)

I'm talking about the /appearance/ of the page on my computer screen,
which looks like the pdf file that most printers now ask for instead
of "photo ready" paste-up copy.

If you're hoping that the League will convert each issue to HTML
format, complete with nice layout and graphics, I wouldn't hold
my breath on that. The reason companies choose solutions such as
Nxtbook is because it's a lot easier and cheaper than redoing the
layout in HTML.

I'm hoping that the league spends the money needed to make the online
edition of QST viable. I don't care if it's done in HTML, or sent as a
pdf, or by other means. A page formatted to be easy-to-read in a "tall
and narrow" format such as a magazine page simply doesn't work in
a "short and wide" format such as my computer screen.

73,

Bill, W1AC

--
Bill Horne
(Remove QRM from my address to write to me directly)