Old January 14th 13, 12:56 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Dick Grady AC7EL[_2_] Dick Grady AC7EL[_2_] is offline

Default ARRL drops the other shoe on print version of QST

On Sat, 12 Jan 2013 12:35:38 EST, Bill Horne
wrote:

I just got the email from the ARRL:

"QST's Stacking Up? Get Digital QST Only".

My only experience with reading a magazine electronically was a few
years ago when World Radio stopped paper publication, CQ bought it,
and published a PDF version on their web page (free for a while, they
charge for it now).

I downloaded a couple of the free issues. The problem I had was that
I don't have contiguous blocks of time to read an entire issue at
once. And there was no way to bookmark in the PDF file where I left
off.

With a paper magazine, I can stop reading any time I want, put a piece
of paper at the point I stopped, and then a day or so later resume
where I left off. Sometimes it takes me more than a month to read an
issue. Also, when I have a doctor's appointment, I can take the paper
copy with me to read while waiting my turn. (Yes, I could do that
with an iPad or similar mobile device, but only if I had one, which I
don't).

Also, I bring my recent past issues of QST and CQ to the VE license
exams sessions which I run, and hand them out to newly-minted hams.
Can't do that with the online versions.

Dick Grady, AC7EL