Old August 27th 04, 04:07 PM
John Larkin

On 26 Aug 2004 22:40:36 -0700, (Bill N2CQR
MOHBR) wrote:

Even if he were to be running this amp Class B (or close to it), I
can't see how he'd get 8 watts out with only 80 milliamps of standing
current

I'm very new to this kind of analysis, and strongly suspect that I'm
misreading either SSDRA or Farhan's excellent article.

Can someone please let me know where this apparent discrepency is
coming from.

Thanks and 73

Bill N2CQR M0HBR CU2JL
http://planeta.clix.pt/n2cqr

I think the RF guys (I'm not one!) call an amplifier "linear" if the
RF output amplitude follows the input drive amplitude. You can do this
with a transistor that has very low quiescent bias. So "linear" does
not mean "class A" to them. The key here is that an RF amp has a tuned
output, whereas an audio amp doesn't. So the lopsided bias would
normally produce intolerable distortion in something like audio, but
the tuned output circuit changes the pulsey-looking collector/drain
current back into a nice sine wave. So you don't need a lot of idle
current, and the transistor really amplifies half of the incoming sine
cycle.

Most mosfets are pretty nicely linear (ie, straight-line Ic/Vd curve)
beyond the initial knee. You could get gobs of watts at zero standing
current, but then you'd have some zero-clipping (no output) for the
smallest drive levels, so a little idle current helps.

John