Old January 18th 13, 04:50 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
MM MM is offline

Default How much of QST's content is now ephemeral?

On 1/17/13 1:02 PM, Bert wrote:
The recent discussion of the "online" version of QST had me thinking of
this.

Articles in QST used to be pretty much complete and self-contained.

Construction articles had complete schematics and parts lists, even PC
board layouts when needed. Technical articles might have some footnotes
and references, but they were to real books that you could buy or find
at a decent library.

Now, much of the meat of many articles is contained in random Web sites,
many not managed by ARRL, with no guarantee that any of it will be
findable after even a year or two.

I think you make a good point. Unfortunately, IMO QST has become a
shadow of its former self. Not to be an OF (altho I probably am), the
QST of the 70's and earlier was much more substantial. It may be largely
due to hams doing less construction than in the old days. And often
software is a large part of everything these days. It's difficult to
distribute software in a print medium so it pretty much has to be
on-line. For better or worse, that's the way of the world now.

73.... Mark AA7TA