Old January 21st 13, 01:10 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
tom tom is offline

Default Battery charging???

On 1/17/2013 6:45 PM, Tom wrote:

SNIP

I was wondering why you only get 4 years out of your deep cycle
batteries, when I get at least 8 and you are giving me advice? I think
you are just jumping at the chance to fling some mud at someone who is
less knowledgable as yourself in electrical situations.

Light bulbs, flashlights, horses to water, neighbors, again, you skirted
right around the question.

Thanks anyway,,,

73s

I buy used deep cycles at the 4 to 8 year point. But I buy really good
ones. The 200AH I currently have in my van (180 watts of panels with an
MPP charging system) are currently at 12.8 volts and haven't seen a
charge for 3 months. That is as good as it gets. One is 9 years old
and the other is 5.

They are 2 AGM UPS batteries. One is a 67AH that costs about $300 new,
and the other is 134AH that costs about $550 new. I got the 67 for free
from a damaged shipment - bent terminals due to poor shipper handling,
the receiver rejected the whole pallet, we got 12 of them for free. I
paid $100 for the 4 year old one. They are from the same manufacturer
and the same series.

You get what you pay for. Just make sure the guy that pays for it is a
business and that they regularly rotate out old batteries from their UPS's.

tom
K0TAR