Old January 21st 13, 12:40 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
bilou bilou is offline

Default Tonna 9 element 70cm yagi - feed method?

"Richard Ferryman" wrote in message
I have come by a Tonna 9 element yagi for 430MHz to 440MHz. The driven
element is a folded dipole and has an n-type connector attached. SWR looks
correct and it works but there is a slight skew to the radiation pattern.
The n-type connector is potted in a plastic or epoxy and looks too small to
have any sort of balanced to unbalanced device in it. I intend putting a
ferrite choke on the feed cable to help. Tonna antennas have a good
reputation and I am surprised at the apparent feed method. Does anyone
know if I have missed something?
Dick G4BBH

Hi
As far as I remember F9FT ,designer of those antennas, was not
convinced of the usefullness of balancing devices for long yagis .
He said that the slight skew was the only real drawback of not using
any .
I believe you are on your own to prove he was wrong :-)